Tentative timeline announced to fill City Council vacancy
Ben Stuckart, City Council President, No Phone Number Available
Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 4:28 p.m.
Spokane City Councilman Steve Salvatori has announced that he intends to resign his seat on July 8, which will create an opening. Section 8 of the City Charter and Section 10 of the Council Rules and Procedures outline the process to fill that seat.
Following is a tentative timeline for filling the anticipated vacancy:
- Councilman Salvatori resigns July 8
- Announcement of opening and applications accepted July 10 at a City Council Study Session
- Applications will be available on the City's website, the City Council Offices and at the My Spokane desk on the first floor of City Hall
- Application process closing date proposed to be July 24 at 5pm as determined by the City Council
- Council members shall review all applications (applicants may be interviewed by council members at this time) and rank their top 5. Lists will be submitted to the Council President by July 31
- A committee comprised of three council members (determined by council motion) will review and compile council member rankings and determine the top applicants for interviews by entire council. Council rules dictate this be done by a committee. This work will be completed on Aug. 1
- The full council will interview top candidates. Interviews will be open to the public, conducted during a properly noticed council meeting and take place between Aug. 11- 15
- Full council, in open session, will vote to fill vacancy on Aug. 18
Candidates must have lived in the 3rd City Council District since August 18, 2013. The 3rd City Council District encompasses the area north of the Spokane River and West of Division Street.