U-VISA - I-918, Petition for Nonimmigrant Status Certification

Administered by the Department of Homeland Security, a U-Visa allows immigration protection for victims of qualifying crimes and their qualifying family members (as appropriate), who are helpful to law enforcement in the detention, investigation or prosecution of criminal activity. This is a temporary visa that can be valid up to four years, and in some cases may be extended.

U-Visa's are not automatic, and can only be granted if the appropriate paperwork is sent to Homeland Security via the law enforcement agency where the criminal activity occurred.

If the incident(s) occurred within the jurisdiction of the Spokane Police Department, then applicants submit their completed I-918 documents to the Spokane Police Department for certification. The certifying official is Chief Craig Meidl and only he can sign the form.

In order to certify a petition, the petitioner should submit evidence, attached to their petition, of their cooperation with law enforcement. Police officers or detectives involved must concur that a U-Visa applicant has both cooperated with law enforcement in the investigation and will cooperate in any subsequent prosecution before Chief Meidl will certify the application.

Requests for certification should be forwarded to Angie Napolitano in the Chief's Office. Certification does not automatically grant an immigration benefit. Without the law enforcement certification, however, the U-Visa will be denied.

For more information on the process and forms required, please visit http://www.uscis.gov/i-918

Forward requests to the following address:

Office of the Chief of Police, Spokane Police Department
Attn: Angie Napolitano
1100 W.Mallon Ave
Spokane, WA 99260

Contact Police

For in progress crimes and emergencies call 911

To report a non-emergent crime contact:

To provide crime activity or suspect information that doesn't require immediate action contact:

For general police email contact:

For nuisance reports, including code violations (i.e. illegal camping, substantial litter in yards or alleys, graffiti, land use violations), parking complaints, and road condition issues contact: