Citizens, SPD Initiate Effort to Continue E. Sprague Revitalization

Community policing effort seeks to improve area, reduce sex trafficking

Monique Cotton, Director of Communication and Public Information, 509.363.8285

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 9:49 a.m.

Neighbors, Spokane Police and the City of Spokane are working together to improve the Targeted Investment Area, reduce sex trafficking, and continue to revitalize the E. Sprague neighborhood.

TODAY, March 4, 2015, E. Sprague neighbors and the Spokane Police Department will conduct the following activities as part of the “See Something? Say Something.” E. Sprague Revitalization Initiative to prevent and reduce sex trafficking:

  • E. Sprague neighbors, businesspeople and Spokane Police will be going door-to-door posting signs to encourage citizens who see sex trafficking to say something (“See Something?  Say Something.”). The door-to-door initiative will start at 3:00 pm at the Sprague Union Terrace Building (1420 E. Sprague Ave.). As part of “See Something? Say Something.” citizens are encouraged to write down the license plate, vehicle description and the suspect description of individuals believed to be soliciting a prostitute. Spokane Police will follow up by contacting the registered owner of the reported vehicles. The poster, which will be handed out during the door-to-door initiative, is attached.
  • During the month of March (and with specific dates to be announced at a later date) the Spokane Police Major Crimes Special Victims Unit (SVU) will be conducting a series of undercover sting operations to arrest individuals who attempt to purchase sex from a prostitute. Those offenders will be booked into jail and their vehicles impounded when these vehicles are used in the commission of a crime (per City ordinance SMC 10.06.037).

In addition to today’s door-to-door neighborhood and community policing initiative, the City of Spokane has taken other steps to improve E. Sprague and the Targeted Investment Area. Please find additional information on these improvements in the attached document.

Related Documents

Contact Police

For in progress crimes and emergencies call 911

To report a non-emergent crime contact:

To provide crime activity or suspect information that doesn't require immediate action contact:

For general police email contact:

For nuisance reports, including code violations (i.e. illegal camping, substantial litter in yards or alleys, graffiti, land use violations), parking complaints, and road condition issues contact:

Media Relations Contact

Julie Humphreys