SPD Reminds Community to Be Safe This Fourth of July

Julie Humphreys, Public Safety Communication Manager, 509.625.5868

Tuesday, July 6, 2021 at 5 p.m.

SPD encourages you to take some simple steps to have a safe 4th of July

Independence Day is one of the most dangerous times to be out on the roads, in large part because of impaired drivers. The National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) reports more people die in drunk driving crashes in July than any other month of the year with the 4th being the most hazardous day.

Please celebrate safely with these tips:

  • Plan ahead for a sober ride home if you plan to drink – have a sober driver, call a taxi or other ride service, call a sober friend or family member
  • Driving after just one drink is not a good idea. A sober driver is someone who does not drink at all, not the one who has had the least alcohol
  • Help friends get home safely, take away keys and make arrangements for friends who can’t make their own
  • Obey speed regulations
  • Report impaired drivers, safely pull over and call 911

Alcohol is not the only dangerous substance when driving. Drug-impaired drivers put themselves at an increased risk for crashes as well as do distracted drivers. Put your phone away when driving, that one quick text could be your last.

SPD also reminds you that the sale or use of fireworks is illegal in Spokane. The risk of starting a fire with fireworks is extremely high this year with the hot, dry weather and expected winds. Fire Marshals will be out patrolling and enforcing the ban. Fines begin at more than $500.00.

We hope you and your family have a happy and safe 4th of July as we celebrate our nation’s independence. Thank you for helping to make our community safer for everyone.

Contact Police

For in progress crimes and emergencies call 911

To report a non-emergent crime contact:

To provide crime activity or suspect information that doesn't require immediate action contact:

For general police email contact:

For nuisance reports, including code violations (i.e. illegal camping, substantial litter in yards or alleys, graffiti, land use violations), parking complaints, and road condition issues contact:

Media Relations Contact

Julie Humphreys