SFD responds to house fire and discovers hash oil explosion

Patient in critical condition

AC Brian Schaeffer #509-625-7002

Friday, August 19, 2016 at 6:58 p.m.

Yesterday just after 12:00 p.m., the Spokane Fire Department responded to a report of a residential structure fire in the 700 block of E. Ermina Ave.

Upon arrival, crews discovered an occupant of the home was critically burned as a result of an explosion that occurred during an unauthorized marijuana butane honey oil extraction process. The midday incident occurred when fumes built up in an improperly ventilated basement room reached an ignition source and caused an explosion and flash fire.

Firefighters treated the patient and ensured the fire had not spread further within the home. The patient was transported to a local medical center before being flown to the Harbor View Burn Center where he remains in critical condition.

Two other adults and three children were in the residence at the time of the explosion, but did not sustain injuries.