Cause determined in yesterday’s vacant house fire near Government Way

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Friday, January 4, 2019 at 10:02 a.m.

Firefighters said individuals who broke into a vacant home and set up residence are to blame for yesterday’s house fire after their warming fire spread.

At approximately 4:08 p.m. the Spokane Fire Department responded to the 100 block of S. G St. on a report of a possible house fire.

Upon arrival, fire crews reported moderate smoke from a two story residential structure along with smoke from the attic vents and immediately upgraded the incident to ensure needed additional resources responded to the scene. Firefighters gained entry into the structure which had been boarded up. The fire was quickly confined to main floor and extinguished preventing the spread to other areas of the house. Crews conducted a search of the entire structure to ensure all occupants had safely escaped.

No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported.

The fire caused significant damage to the main floor of the home and smoke damage throughout the entire structure.