Tour Commander, 509.625.7100
Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 2:11 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 25, 10:15 a.m., the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a badly burned patient in an apartment building located in the 1600 Block of West Pacific Avenue.
911 was summoned by a care provider that was on a scheduled visit. SFD’s Paramedics found the patient located on the apartment floor, alone, minimally clothed, and critically burned to her face, head, and neck. The patient’s airway and overall medical status were quickly managed, and the patient was transported emergently to Sacred Heart Medical Center. The victim has subsequently been transferred to Harborview Burn Center in Seattle.
The preliminary investigation determined on Saturday morning (11/21/20) at approximately 10:00 AM, a smoke alarm was activated for about four minutes in the victim’s room and then silenced. The alarm was stand-alone and not connected to a central panel that would alert the building for evacuation and notify the fire department. The victim is a 79-year old female that was living alone in the apartment. She survived on the floor with critical burns for three days--alone and unable to access help.
Evidence gathered at the scene suggests the victim received burns accidentally, and the cause was smoking materials too close to combustibles.