West Central Residence Fire

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Monday, November 8, 2021 at 8:31 a.m.

The Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched Friday at 7:31 PM to the area of 1800 West Dean Avenue for a residence on fire. While companies were responding, additional information from the 911 caller indicated the occupants were inside attempting to extinguish what they thought was a chimney fire.   

The first company arrived within three minutes and reported smoke exiting from the main floor doorway. As they prepared to stretch hose lines to the residence, other companies quickly arrived to aid in the effort to locate the occupants and ventilate the structure. Both occupants were immediately located and removed from the structure while firefighters were extinguishing the fire.   

The nature of the fire was determined to be accidental, and the cause was an escaped fire from the fireplace. The residents were burning trash in their fireplace for warmth, and the fire had escaped and spread to nearby combustibles. One victim was treated by SFD Paramedics and transported to the hospital for burns. 

As temperatures continue to decrease, many of us rely on fireplaces for warmth. Remember a few safety tips before and during fireplace utilization:

Before Use:

  • Have the chimney checked annually by a professional
  • Even if the chimney is not due for a cleaning, it is vital to check for animal nests or other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping.
  • Be sure the damper or flue is open before starting a fire. Keeping the damper or flue open until the fire is out will draw smoke out of the house. 
  • Use dry and well-aged wood. 
  • Clean out ashes from previous fires. 
  • Make sure the area around the fireplace is clear of anything potentially flammable (i.e., furniture, drapes, newspapers, books, etc.). If these items get too close to the fireplace, they could catch fire.
  • Install both smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in the occupancy.  
  • Install or place a fire extinguisher on hand in an easily accessible area.
  • Talk with children as early as possible about the dangers of fires and the heat coming from them.


  • Maintain the safety screen on the fireplace to protect children from burns and reduce the potential for the fire spreading outside of the fireplace
  • Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended. Make sure it is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house. If you leave the room while the fire is burning or the fireplace is still hot, take your small child with you.
  • Keep fireplace tools and accessories out of a young child's reach. Also, remove any lighters and matches