City declares Stage 1 snow event
Cars should be moved to even side of the streets
Brian Coddington, Communications Director, 509.625.6740
Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 2:07 p.m.
The City of Spokane has declared a Stage 1 snow event. Cars should be moved to the even side of the street on residential hill routes by 10 p.m. this evening to allow snow plows to pass.
Currently, the City as 24 pieces of equipment focused on the snow emergency routes and major arterials.
During a Stage 1 Event citizens are asked to:
- Move parked cars off all arterials and fixed STA bus routes
- Move parked cars in residential hill routes to the even side of the street
- Clear sidewalks of snow within 24 hours
The City also asks motorists to:
- Slow down, be patient, and drive according to conditions.
- Not to follow plows closely. They can generate clouds of snow making it difficult to see and can kick up sand. (Staying four car lengths back is a good rule of thumb)
- Not try to pass plow trucks; it’s very dangerous.
- Not get between plows as they often work in teams of two or three
- Drive with caution when near a plow as the plow operator may not have the same field of vision as a smaller vehicle. You will see them, but they may not see you.