Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager
Friday, September 14, 2018 at 2:39 p.m.
The cause of yesterday’s duplex fire in the 300 block of E. Wabash Ave. has been declared undetermined by fire investigators with the Spokane Fire Department Special Investigation Unit. Investigators advise the fire did originate in the alley where discarded couches had been placed.
At approximately 6:05 a.m., crews from the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) and Spokane County Fire District 9 responded to the structure fire. Initial reports indicated the fire was discovered by tenants on the exterior of a duplex and the fire was moving to the building. Tenants attempted to put the fire out with a garden hose.
First arriving SFD crews reported the fire had moved in to the attic space. Crews were able to contain and extinguish the fire within 15 minutes of arrival, as well as, confirm all occupants had safely exited the building.
The residence was uninhabitable due to smoke and fire damage and the American Red Cross responded to provide shelter for the displaced residents.
No injuries were reported.