Malfunctioning gas dryer to blame for fire at Tiki Lodge

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 12:24 p.m.

Fire investigators with the Spokane Fire Department’s Special Investigation Unit say yesterday’s fire at the Tiki Lodge was caused by a malfunctioning commercial natural gas clothes dryer. The dryer ignited the linens inside.

At approximately 12:30 p.m., the Spokane Fire Department responded to the 1400 block of W. 2nd Ave. on a report of a commercial structure fire.

The first arriving engine reported light smoke visible from the first floor and second floor of a two story hotel. Crews immediately initiated fire attack while other arriving units secured water supply, gained entry into the structure to check for any extension of the fire and conducted a search of the interior to ensure no one was inside. Firefighters discovered a fire in the laundry room. Crews were able to contain the fire to the room of origin and extinguish the fire within five minutes of the first firefighters arriving on scene.

There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters reported.

The laundry room sustained fire and smoke damage, the second floor maintenance room sustained smoke damage.