Improperly disposed smoking materials start fire in north side home

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Monday, June 24, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.

Investigators with the Spokane Fire Department Special Investigation Unit say improperly disposed smoking materials are to blame for a fire at home in the north side of Spokane.

On Saturday at approximately 11:10 a.m., the Spokane Fire Department responded to the 4100 block of N. Nevada St. on a report of a residential structure fire.

The first arriving fire crew reported smoke issuing from the roof of the home. The incident was upgraded to ensure additional resources responded.

Firefighters located fire to the rear of the home and kept it from spreading to additional parts of the structure. Crews rapidly conducted a search of the building to ensure there were no occupants inside. Crews also searched the attic and removed siding from the home to ensure the fire was completely extinguished.

There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters. The American Red Cross responded to assist the residents.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, from 2012-2016 smoking was the leading cause of home fire deaths. One in 20 home structure fires started by smoke materials. Open porches and exterior balconies are the most common area for these fires to start. Smoking material fires are preventable.

The Spokane Fire Department wants to remind residents of the following important smoking safety tips:

  • If you smoke, smoke outside.
  • Keep cigarettes, matches, lighters and other smoking materials out of reach of children, in a locked cabinet.
  • Use a deep, sturdy, ashtray. Place it away from anything that can burn.
  • Do not discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping, dried grasses, leaves or other things that could ignite easily.
  • Before throwing away butts and ashes, make sure they are out. Dousing in water or sand is the best way to do this.
  • Never smoke or allow anyone to smoke where medical oxygen is used.