Residential Basement Fire

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Friday, January 15, 2021 at 10:48 a.m.

Thursday, Jan. 14, 3:09 PM, the Spokane Fire Department was dispatched to the 700 block of South Lincoln Place for a report of a basement fire in an apartment. The first company arrived within four-minutes and reported smoke showing from the rear of a residence. The structure was a former home converted into individual apartment units. The building was in the process of being evacuated as SFD companies arrived.

Companies stretched pre-connected hose lines from their apparatus to the basement and located a fire in a cooking area. Simultaneously, an adult victim suffering from smoke inhalation was identified and treated by arriving SFD Paramedics. Extension of the fire into nearby walls and combustibles was immediately stopped and the area forcibly ventilated. 

The fire's nature was accidental and the cause determined to be recently re-energized cooking equipment too close to combustibles. 

?SFD reminds the community to keep electric appliances (heaters, fans, ovens, etc.) in the 'off' position until power is returned during periods of power loss.