Neighborhood Comes Together to Combat Crime

Ofc. Teresa Fuller, 509.835.4568,

Monday, July 13, 2015 at 8:21 a.m.

A neighborhood in the Shadle area has come together, and by working closely with the Spokane Police Department, has successfully shut down a chronic drug nuisance property and stopped the criminal activity associated with the residence. The abatement of the home, located in the 4100 block of W. Wellesley, starts this morning.

Neighbors near the house at 4112 W. Wellesley have banded together and worked diligently with SPD to remove a nuisance house and the criminal activity associated with the house. Neighborhood Conditions Officer Doug Strosahl has been working with the neighbors and the home owner in an attempt to remedy the situation, but it became apparent over the last several months that reports of drug and other illegal activity at the house had increased. Spokane Police officers have responded to the house at 4112 W. Wellesley 18 times is 2013, 16 times in 2014, and 28 times in the first half of this year.

Drug activity, assaults, vehicle thefts, and overdoses are just a few of the calls that either SPD or the Spokane Fire Department have received regarding the property. The house is just six blocks from Browne Elementary School.¬†Due to safety and quality of life issues, the neighbors in this area came together with their Neighborhood Conditions Officer, the City Attorney’s Office, Code Enforcement and the Civil Enforcement Unit to petition the court for an abatement order. However, just before the court hearing, the owner agreed to the abatement without having the hearing.

This community success required neighbors working together and collaborating with their Neighborhood Conditions Officer, City Attorney’s Office, Code Enforcement and the SPD’s Civil Enforcement Unit. By staying vigilant and cooperating with law enforcement this neighborhood community was able to successfully clear and secure this chronic drug nuisance residence.

Contact Police

For in progress crimes and emergencies call 911

To report a non-emergent crime contact:

To provide crime activity or suspect information that doesn't require immediate action contact:

For general police email contact:

For nuisance reports, including code violations (i.e. illegal camping, substantial litter in yards or alleys, graffiti, land use violations), parking complaints, and road condition issues contact:

Media Relations Contact

Julie Humphreys