SPD Assists with Lilac Parade
Julie Humphreys, Public Safety Communication Manager, 509.625.5868
Friday, May 20, 2022 at 4:21 p.m.
SPD set to help provide a safe and enjoyable Lilac Festival Armed Forces Torchlight Parade
Spokane’s signature parade is back and Spokane Police will once again be providing security for the event. Parade goers will find a uniformed police officer and/or SPD volunteers at every intersection along the parade route. Additional behind the scenes safety measures will also be in place.
To help ensure the safety of everyone attending the parade as well as others in the area, SPD encourages everyone to follow a few safety tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Immediately report suspicious activity to law enforcement officials.
- Never leave children unattended.
- Lock ALL vehicle doors and secure windows.
- Don’t leave any valuables in vehicles.
- Carry purses and wallets on you and in a safe place.
- Do not leave purses or bags unattended.
- Choose an alternative route to avoid congestion if you do not need to be downtown.
- Take public transportation if you can.
- Drivers should slow down and be aware of extra pedestrian activity.
- Pedestrians should exercise extra caution and watch for traffic.
- Animals are prohibited during special events, so please leave them at home (service animals are permitted).
- Remember open containers are not allowed.
The Lilac Parade is a fun event for families and people of all ages. Let’s work together to keep it fun by being safe! Be sure to wave at your SPD Motorcycle Officers who will be escorting floats and helping to keep the parade on course. And watch for SPD’s Officer of the Year, Tim Schwering, riding in the antique police car!
See road closures.
Starting at 9 a.m., the following streets will close:
- Spokane Falls Boulevard between Stevens and Monroe Street
- Wall and Howard Street between Spokane Falls Boulevard and Main Avenue
- Post Street between Spokane Falls Boulevard and the Post Street Bridge
Starting at 4 p.m., the following streets will close:
- Spokane Falls Boulevard between Browne and Monroe Street
- Northbound Washington Street between Spokane Falls Boulevard and Boone Avenue
Starting at 4:30 p.m., the following streets will close:
- Howard Street between Boone and Mallon Avenue
- Mallon Avenue will be closed from Post to Howard Street
- Calispel, Normandie and Atlantic Street will be closed between Cataldo and Boone Avenue
- Cataldo Avenue between Atlantic and Washington Street
- Southbound Washington/Stevens Street between Spokane Falls Boulevard and Boone Avenue
Starting at 5:30 p.m., the following streets will close:
- Washington/Stevens Street will be closed between Boone and 2nd Avenue
- Post Street between 2nd and Main Avenue
- Wall and Howard Street between 2nd Avenue and Spokane Falls Boulevard
- Main, Riverside, Sprague and 1st Avenue between Washington and Lincoln Street
- Spokane Falls Boulevard between Washington and Monroe Street
All streets will be open around 11 p.m.
For in progress crimes and emergencies call 911
To report a non-emergent crime contact:
To provide crime activity or suspect information that doesn't require immediate action contact:
For general police email contact:
For nuisance reports, including code violations (i.e. illegal camping, substantial litter in yards or alleys, graffiti, land use violations), parking complaints, and road condition issues contact:
Media Relations Contact
Cpl. Nick Briggs