Light placed too close to materials caused house fire

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 9:44 a.m.

Fire investigators with the Spokane Fire Department’s Special Investigation Unit say a multi-bulb lamp with incandescent light bulbs placed too close to combustible materials caused an early morning fire that displaced two adults and their two small dogs.

The fire broke out yesterday at approximately 2:20 a.m. at a home in the 500 block of E. Liberty Ave. The occupants were able to safely evacuate prior to firefighters arriving. Fire crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire, but the attached garage, house and a large portion of the home’s contents had already sustained heavy damage.

The American Red Cross responded to the scene to assist the residents and their dogs.

There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters.