Attic fire ruled accidental

Michele Anderson, Public Safety Communications Manager

Monday, June 3, 2019 at 6:05 p.m.

Overheated electrical wiring is to blame for an attic fire that started at a South Hill home this afternoon.

Investigators with the Spokane Fire Department Special Investigation Unit say three portable air conditioners were being utilized at the residence, which placed a high current draw on the circuit. The wiring was covered with attic insulation and was not able to dissipate the heat produced by the high current draw. Heat continued to build eventually igniting the insulation.

The Spokane Fire Department responded to the home in the 400 block of W. 24th Ave. at approximately 11:44 a.m. after receiving reports of a possible house fire.

The first arriving crew reported light smoke from the eave line of a two-story home along with smoke from the attic vents. The incident was immediately upgraded to a working fire to ensure additional resources responded to the scene.

Within 10 minutes of arriving on scene, firefighters were able to contain and extinguish the fire keeping it from spreading to other areas of the residence. Nine fire apparatus along with 24 firefighters responded to fight the fire.

No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported.