Augusta Structure Fire

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 2:06 p.m.

At 12:56 AM on early Saturday morning, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a fire in a residence located in the 1800 block of West Augusta Avenue. When companies arrived, they immediately located six residents outside that escaped a fire that they reported to be located in the structure's attic. Two residents had remained inside the structure, against the SFD's Communication Specialist direction, attempting to extinguish it. The building was searched, and two residents were located and removed from the structure without incident. The fire was quickly located in the ceiling and attic spaces. Companies extinguished it before the fire traveled horizontally throughout the residence. 

The nature of the fire was accidental, and the cause was determined to be an electrical malfunction in a fan. While damage estimates were reported to be $25,000, the property and contents saved are likely greater than $350,000. The Greater Inland Northwest Red Cross is assisting eight (8) adults in their recovery from the incident.  

There were neither injuries to civilians nor firefighters as a result of this fire.