Structure Fire West Central

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 2:08 p.m.

At 2:42 PM on Saturday afternoon, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a fire in a residence located in the 2100 block of West Boone Avenue. A neighbor called 911 when they observed smoke coming from "everywhere" at the home and attempted to knock at the door; however, there was no response. The first company arrived within three (3) minutes and confirmed a working fire in the structure. As crews forced access into the residence, one of the two dogs from the home immediately ran out, and smoke was banked close to the floor.

The structure was searched and a fire was located in the rear of the structure and had extended well into the ceiling and attic spaces. After 45 minutes, firefighters were successful in extinguishing the fire and limiting the damage to the structure and its contents.

The nature of the fire was accidental. The cause was determined to be a result of the occupant placing a garbage can on top of a stovetop to keep it out of reach of his two dogs. While left unattended, the dogs inadvertently turned on the burner while attempting to get into garbage and ignited the garbage can.

?Damage estimates are $50,000. The property and contents saved are likely greater than $200,000. There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters as a result of this fire.