Commercial Structure Fire - 27 East Queen

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 2:10 p.m.

At 3:28 PM on Saturday, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a report of a fire in the kitchen at 27 East Queen. Reports from the kitchen staff at the facility advised that a cooking fire had developed and overwhelmed the safety system. The SFD Communication Specialists directed the employees to activate the fire alarm and evacuate the building. 

The restaurant's staff had correctly exited customers before the SFD arrived and had their customers and staff accounted for. The first arriving engine companies entered from the rear of the building to access the kitchen and fire, while ladder companies obtained access to the roof via aerial ladders in order to control the building's systems and ensure the fire had not extended above the kitchen's hood. 

The fire was contained to the kitchen area and successfully limited to the area of origin. The nature of the fire was accidental. The cause was determined to be the result of a cooking process that placed flammable liquids too close to an open flame. 

Damage to the kitchen is estimated to be $1,000.00. The property and contents saved are likely higher than $700,000. Spokane Regional Health District was notified of the incident as per protocol for fires involving food preparation.

There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters as a result of this fire.