Residential Fire on West Sharp

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 5:06 p.m.

Spokane, WA, October 30, 2019 - At 4:59 AM on Tuesday (10/29), the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a fire in a residence in the 1900 Block of West Sharp. Residents told SFD Communication Specialists via 911 that they were awoken by crackling sounds coming from above them in the ceiling. They smelled smoke and peered into the attic to quickly discover a growing fire.

The first two companies arrived quickly and made access to the attic. Fortunately, they were able to contain the fire with minimal damage to the home's living spaces. The fire was completely extinguished and overhauled in 45 minutes.

The nature of the fire is accidental, and the cause was determined to be an electrical malfunction from older wiring in the attic. The estimated value of the property and contents saved as a result of the SFD's action was determined to be 300,000. Resulting damage to structural components and contents (mainly smoke damage) is limited to $5,000.

There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters as a result of this fire.