Passerby Saves Home and Family

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 8:48 a.m.

At 7:44 PM on Friday evening, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a report of a house on fire. The fire was reported by a passerby in the 8600 Block of North Greenwood Street. The passerby was able to notify the residents, who were unaware of the fire, and remain on the phone with 911 until they evacuated from the house. The first company arrived to find flames approximately 20 feet in height on an exterior wall and neighbors attempting to extinguish the fire with a small hose.

With the assistance of subsequent companies, the fire was confined to the exterior wall and did not extend into the attic space or through the wall. The fire was quickly contained and damage was limited to the area of origin. The nature of the fire was accidental. The cause was determined to be the result of discarded ashes that were not extinguished completely and stored in a plastic container.

Damage to the structure is estimated at $10,000. The property and contents saved are likely higher than $350,000. 

There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters as a result of this fire.