SPD Vehicle Theft Arrest

Cpl. Ronald Van Tassel

Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.

Late Wednesday night Troopers from Washington State Patrol (WSP) attempted to stop a stolen U-Haul van. The driver of the vehicle did not stop and WSP pursued it. The driver eventually stopped in the area of Howard and Wellesley and then fled on foot. After a K-9 track and several citizens calling in, the suspect was located in a garage. He refused to come out and eventually climbed into a crawl space, which led into an attic area of a duplex. After just over an hour he was taken into custody and booked into jail for various charges.

On August 22, 2019 a Trooper from WSP was in a parking lot close to the U-Haul at the Division “Y”. The Trooper heard some loud banging noises and went to investigate. He had seen a male (49 year old James Manfredda) running from the building. Manfredda had broken into the security key box, stolen keys and was running to a U-Haul truck. Manfredda climbed inside a truck and started to drive away. The Trooper attempted to stop the U-Haul, which did not stop and fled south on Division. The pursuit was self-terminated at one point due to safety concerns. The pursuit was later initiated again by WSP. It continued to Wellesley and Howard where Manfredda stopped the vehicle and then fled on foot.

Officer from the Spokane Police Department were close by to assist. K-9 King was used to track for Manfredda. King tracked Manfredda to 4700 N Stevens. Officers were contacted by a couple citizens in the area saying they saw a male trying to hide and then entered into a garage. Officers surrounded the garage and were able to see Manfredda hiding in the rafters.

Manfredda was asked to come down numerous times and was given many opportunities to do so. Manfredda was very erratic inside the garage. He was climbing all over the place. Manfredda kept putting his hands in his pockets, grabbing items out and throwing them at Officers.

Manfredda scooted across the rafter and was able to enter into an access point that led into the attic of the duplex. Officers could hear Manfredda inside the attic moving around. As he was trying to hide, Officers located Manfredda’s backpack in the garage and inside they located a realistic looking airsoft gun and several wigs.

Officers attempted to negotiate with Manfredda for some time with no response. K-9 King entered the attic to attempt to take Manfredda into custody. Manfredda started to yell out that he was going to kill the dog. At one point he picked up a stick and started swinging it, trying to hit the dog. King was called out of the attic to prevent him from being harmed.

Manfredda had climbed through the attic from over one side of the duplex to the far side. He was in an area that was not easily accessible or safe for the K-9 or Officers to enter. Officers were able to use a ladder and remove a vent on the front of the residence. From there, other less lethal means were used against Manfredda. Manfredda eventually surrendered and he was then taken into custody.

Manfredda was in the attic for over an hour. He was given many chances to surrender and was warned many times that less lethal objects were going to be used against him, and yet he refused to come out. He was eventually booked into jail for numerous charges which will include Theft of a motor vehicle and eluding. WSP is investigating possible burglary charges as well.

Manfredda has a criminal history dating back numerous years, His convictions include:

-Taking a motor vehicle without permission.

-Attempting to elude a Police Officer (X2)

-Possession of stolen property 2nd degree

-Theft 1st degree.

-4th degree assault (X2)

-DUI (X3)

Contact Police

Media Relations Contact

Officer Steve Anderson