Early Morning Fire on East Broad Avenue

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Monday, December 2, 2019 at 9:25 a.m.

At 4:32 AM Thanksgiving morning, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a fire in a residence located in the 1100 Block of East Broad Avenue. The fire was reported by the sole occupant that described hearing "popping noises" and smelling smoke emanating from the home's walls. The residence did not have smoke alarms.

The first company arrived within 5-minutes to find heavy smoke showing from the front of the single-family residence. Companies immediately ensured that the occupant was uninjured and then entered the structure to control the fire. The fire was located and extinguished within 20-minutes, and the damage was limited to a wall common to the basement and first-floor. The nature of the fire was determined to be accidental and the cause is attributed to a defectively installed wood burning stove.

The structure and contents saved are estimated at $215,000. Damage from the fire is estimated at approximately $15,000 (mainly walls and smoke damage).

There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters as a result of this fire.