Quick Stop of Attic Fire on 1600 Block of East Sinto

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 4:57 p.m.

At 6:55 PM, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) responded to the 1600 East Block of Sinto Avenue on a report of a residential structure fire. Initial reports stated that the occupant felt a hot spot on the upstairs ceiling and residents could smell smoke. SFD companies arrived just minutes after dispatch and reported moderate smoke issuing from the attic vents of the home. Due to the needs of the incident, additional resources were dispatched to ensure adequate personnel were on-scene to control the fire and protect the resident's belongings (a total of 26 firefighters).

The fire was quickly confined to the attic and firefighters successfully prevented the fire from spreading to additional parts of the structure. The fire was successfully confined to the area of origin, and the structure and contents were saved. Damage resulted in approximately $15,000 of loss and $150,000 of property and contents saved.

The nature of the fire was accidental, and the cause resulted from antiquated knob and tube wiring.

There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters as a result of this fire.